December 4, 2006 journal, take note of the deplorable conditions of genocide in Africa. 60 Minutes showed nearly 1 million is killed by Moslem religious cleansing ethnic group. Some of the African continent also is dying of AIDS with grandmothers trying to keep the grandchildren alive in a cesspool of deplorable filth with little chance of ever surviving it. America in its affluence and ability to wage war and death does such a little to help them. “Rwandan Genocide Survivor Recalls Horror. The genocide in Rwanda 12 years ago was the most efficient ever carried out. As correspondent Bob Simon reports, 800,000 people were slaughtered in 100 days. That’s a better rate than the Nazis ever achieved and it practically wiped out Rwanda’s minority tribe. Those who managed to survive the mass murder did so with a combination of courage, cunning, and dumb luck. One incredible and inspiring survivor’s tale has come to light only recently. It took Immaculee Ilibagiza, a college-educated young woman from a remote village, many years before she could confront the horrors she lived through. She is speaking out now, she says, to prevent further atrocities, not only in Rwanda, but in Darfur and other places where massacres loom on the horizon. In Rwanda, a green and hilly and tranquil looking land, Immaculee saw something in the distance 12 years ago and realized life would never be the same. "I remember looking up to the hill across the river. And I saw somebody actually with a machete cutting somebody. And we were all like, 'Wow! Something’s happening here. They’re going to kill us,'" she remembers. "A person like when they’re cutting, cutting. And somebody was screaming." People were screaming all over the country. The genocide had begun. It was extremely low tech – no gas chambers here – just machetes, spears and knives, wielded by Hutus, the majority tribe as they tried to wipe out the minority Tutsis. There were no organized roundups as there had been in Nazi Germany; Tutsis were slaughtered in their tracks, wherever they were found. The killing fields were everywhere. And when it was over, three out of every four Tutsis in Rwanda had been killed. When it began, Immaculee's father told her to run to a minister’s house three miles away, and to beg him to hide her. The minister was a Hutu, a member of the majority tribe that was killing the Tutsis. But he had been a friend of the family’s. And he was a minister. "And I went to him. I was shaking. I told him 'My father asked me to come here because things are getting really bad in our village," she recalls. "And he took me. He said, 'Come, come." He put Immaculee and 6 other women in a tiny, rarely used bathroom in a remote corner of the house, hidden not only from intruders, but from the minister’s large family. Immaculee and the other tall women sat with their backs against the wall. They pulled the smaller girls down on top of them; they couldn’t all move at the same time. "So, when he took us in the bathroom, I was like, 'Oh my God. I will be saved here. This bathroom is so hidden that we’re going to be saved,'” Immaculee explains. Asked whether she was concerned about the extremely small size of the space, she says, "No. That was another question. I would try to fit in any hole I can just to hide." Seven women were huddled in a bathroom measuring three feet by four feet, for 91 days. They took turns standing and stretching. Sometimes, at night, when they couldn’t take it anymore, they retreated into a larger room adjacent to the bathroom. But it was more dangerous there: killers lurked just outside the window, so the women couldn’t stand up or talk. "They were searching. They were there all the time," Immaculee remembers. "It was constantly several people had seen the Tutsi women arrive at the pastor’s house, no one saw leave, dozens Hutus stormed the house hoping to find the women and kill them.